Is Your Business Being Found Locally?
If you are a business trying to build online visibility, it is important that you are listed in online directories such as Google My Business (GMB), Facebook, Apple Maps, and other well-known listings. Google’s search algorithm takes into account all of the different places your website is listed when determining your search ranking; they’re keen on consistency of information throughout your different listings. Submitting to directories should be a part of your digital marketing strategy, as it increases your site visibility for local searches and labels you as reputable online source for your products and services.
The Benefits of Online Directories
A business listing directory is an online list of businesses within a particular niche, location, or category. According to HubSpot, the top 10 online directories are:
- Apple Maps
- Google My Business
- LinkedIn Company Directory
- Better Business Bureau
What are some benefits? Having your business listed in online directories helps boost you to the top of search results and therefore increases the likelihood of users finding your business. It also strengthens your SEO by creating links back to your site that can help you to progress in rankings. It boots your online reputation — the more places users see your listings, the more you will be portrayed as an authority in your industry leading to users feeling more confident in your brand.
What to Remember When Submitting to Directories
A lot of times, businesses will hire a digital marketing agency to spend the time submitting their information into different directories — they’ll know which ones will serve your business best. If you are looking to do the work yourself, here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Be accurate — Accuracy across all of your online listings will lead to more trust in your site from Google and conflicting information will confuse users.
- Be picky — Be careful about what directories you join. Not all are reputable and directories with low authority may hurt your SEO.
- Claim what’s yours — Make sure you have claimed your Google My Business profile and are actively using it. GMB profiles are becoming more important as they play a roll in your local search rankings. You can find more on this in our blog article here. Also set up a page for your business on Facebook.
- Track progress — Keep track of your directory submissions in a spread sheet. This will make it easier to manage what directories you should be present in and manage your listings. This will also allow you to see what progress you’ve made.
- Remember the details — Two important things to include in your listings are: your business hours, and images. This makes your listings more visually engaging to users.
- Encourage feedback — Direct customers to your listings and solicit reviews after you’ve had a great experience with them. This will help you build credibility with your target audience as well as influence your rankings in local search results.
Cast a Wide Net
Online directories are the modern-day yellow pages — you’ll want to make sure you’re listed so that people using these sources can find you! If you have questions about submitting to directories or need help doing so, our Digital Marketing team would be happy to help you — just give us a call and we’ll help point you in the right direction.